Tuesday, September 30, 2008

hello, babies. welcome to earth.

Well, I'm back. A lot's happened since I was last posting regularly. Voluminous trousers took over the runway, Dollhouse went batty, Jemma Kidd launched her cosmetics line at Target, the future of Project Runway got all confusing, the Large Hadron Collider was fired up, and I got this Go International Richard Chai dress on super sale. But the big story, for me anyway, the one that had me postponing my return to blogging even further since I couldn't figure out what to say about it, was the death of David Foster Wallace.

I can't bring myself to eulogize Wallace. I could never do him or his work justice, and I could never adequately explain how dearly I loved his writing. What I can say is that with Wallace's suicide and the loss of Kurt Vonnegut last year, I'll never be able to read a new work by my two favorite science fiction writers again (though to call them science fiction writers is such a gross over-simplification). They have left such an incredible gaping hole.

So instead of trying to say something that would do Mr. Wallace's memory justice, I'm just going to share my favorite Vonnegut quote that I always repeat to myself when things are dark. From God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater :
Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’
David Foster Wallace 1962-2008

No comments: