Saturday, May 2, 2009

cat power (or cat mask fever, i can't decide)

“There is nothing I like more than a girl in a mask and a party dress.”
–Erin Fetherston


Masks have been popping up all over the fashion scene. At Jean-Paul Gaultier, Luella Bartley, and Erin Fetherston shows. In Louis Vuitton’s Richard Prince-inspired Spring 2008 RTW presentation. At Salma Hayek and François-Henri Pinault’s Venetian wedding (which, make no mistake, was a total fashion event). I’ve wanted a cat mask since first reading Ghost World, but never found just the right one and eventually gave up on the idea. However, a gorgeous leather cat mask at The Guthrie Theater Gift Shop recently re-ignited my dormant desire, and now I find myself googling cat masks on a regular basis.


A few of my favorites:


Sadly, this exquisite lace cat mask by Etsy designer Mascherina is a little out of my price range.


a traditional Venetian cat mask by Gatto Arlecchino


a handmade Venetian cat mask


Gatto Décor Aria Gold & White Cat Venetial Masquerade Mask


Claudia Schiffer on the cover of German Vogue


cat masks on the runway at Luella


Thora Birch as Enid from Ghost World, the mask that started it all for me.


cat mask necklace by Sabrina Dehoff


This cute little cat mask ring is a steal at less than $10.


Now this picture from Emma’s Closet has me itching for a child’s skeleton costume as well. I’m really stuck in the wrong season.

No comments: