Tuesday, January 19, 2010

when it rains it pours...fashion!

Ah yes, the Golden Globes. The Double Gs, which interestingly enough is also Heidi Montag's new cup size. Ba dum ching! But really folks, let's get down to business. Since the Golden Globes didn't see fit to honor the actual best picture and best director of the year (ahem, The Hurt Locker), I 'm going to say fuck that noise to the awards and get to what actually matters: the fashion. Hey-o!

Diane Kruger in Christian Lacroix: God, I cannot believe all the troubles that have befallen this amazing house. Lacroix is such an exceptional couturier, and this gown is a great example of haute couture as wearable fashion. I love that Diane Kruger chose a piece from this collection, as Lacroix can use all of the positive publicity it can get. Side note: I'd like to think that if I were somehow invited to an event of this kind and it happened to rain, my jaunty tuxedo'd manfriend would also be happy to dote on me with an umbrella, Pacey-style.

Olivia Wilde in Gucci: I don't know too much about this actress other than she's incredibly beautiful, she's on House, and she played Mischa Barton's love interest on The OC. Sigh, I miss that show. More specifically, I miss the first season of that show. But back to Wilde, she's been wearing some gorgeous gowns to events over the past year, enough so that I feel like I have a very firm grasp of her taste and style despite knowing so little about her career. She tends to favor looks with a bit more of a romantic feel, so it's refreshing to see her trying something new with this slinky Gucci number. It feels very Tom Ford era to me.

so much slink

Carey Mulligan in Nina Ricci: I'm conflicted about this look. I absolutely love Carey in this dress, but I'm also very loyal to the runway version. And this re-imagination just seems so watered down in comparison. So even though she looks great, and I can't get fully behind this gown as it's a bastardized version of a piece that I adore.

the original runway version, which is so red carpet appropriate

Maggie Gyllenhaal in RM by Roland Mouret: Roland Mouret is another designer who's struggled financially over the past few years, so it's exciting to see his new line getting so much attention (Zoe Saldana wore a badass RM by Roland Mouret gown to an Avatar opening last December). I'm way of so many shades of peach on the red carpet, but this rosy shade is stunning on Gyllenhaal. And as usual, Mouret's architectural design is sublime.

Kate Winslet in YSL: Standing in front of a door doesn't make for the most glamorous of photographs, but I chose to feature this particular image as it realy shows off the lines of this YSL dress. Simple, but not at all boring.

January Jones in Lanvin: I've read quite a few complaints that this gown was too drab or morbid, but I've never had a problem with basic black, especially when the dress in question is so elegantly designed and constructed. I'm quite partial to the work of Alber Elbaz, and this dress is a classic example of the simple elegance he has brought to Lanvin.

Julianne Moore in Balenciaga: It makes more sense to me to hate this gown than to hate January Jones' gown. I think hating this gown is fair. That said, I personally love it. As much as I'm a slave to Balenciaga, I feel like Nicolas Ghesquiere has fallen into a bit of a rut over the last few seasons, and when I first saw this dress I remember thinking that it seemed like he had gotten some of his spark back. It's a very fresh design and a pleasant red carpet surprise.

Nicole Kidman in Nina Ricci: I'm struggling with this dress. I find the design unquestionably spectacular, but the color falls flat for me. Peach is a notoriously hard color to work with and wear, and I'm not sure if it's working for Ms. Kidman here. In addition to looking washed out, her makeup also seems to clash with the gown. It's such a shame when a gorgeous design like this falls flat in execution. Also, foundation garments. Look into it Nicole. You're a gorgeous woman, but your nipples are totally distracting me. And not in the good way.

Marion Cotillard in Dior: Sure, this is a fairly predictable choice for Marion Cotillard, but at least she had some fun with length and asymmetry. And the color truly suits her.

Kate Hudson in Marchesa: Ugh, the insipid Kate Hudson. Not my favorite actress, but I can't hold her career choices against this amazing gown from Marchesa's bridal line.

Jennifer Garner in Versace: Ah, my dear sweet Sydney Bristow. I love Jennifer Garner in this Versace gown. Sure, it's a fairly simple choice, but the lines make the actress look positively statuesque.

Jennifer Aniston in Valentino: Just. Awesome.

Jaime Pressly in Kevan Hall: Magpie heaven.

Calista Flockhart in Alberta Ferretti: Kate Hudson may have worn a dress from a bridal collection, but I personally think this Alberta Ferretti number would make a far more amazing wedding dress. I love the chevron details, the fluttery sleeves, and the fact that this painstakingly created gown manages to look so simple and effortless. Want.

Emily Blunt in Dolce & Gabbana: I actually am completely meh about this gown. I just love Emily Blunt and used this as an excuse to post a picture of her. I was recently watching one of the BBC Hercule Poirot movies from five or six years ago, and Blunt played a feisty American. Let me tell you kids, her American accent has improved greatly over the past few years.

Drew Barrymore in Versace: I don't care if it looks like Drew Barrymore has a major barnacle infestation growing out of her hip and shoulder. This dress is fucking gorgeous. When did I become such a Versace fan? It was one of my least favorite labels growing up, I think partially because as a kid I couldn't wrap my head around the context of the house. But I've been obsessed with the Atelier Versace collections over the past couple of years.

Courtney Cox in Victoria Beckham: So glad Victoria Beckham has moved on from designing the poor man's Roland Mouret and is now releasing such classically beautiful gowns.

Christina Aguilera in Versace: I loved this dress on the runway. I loved it when Donatella wore it a month or two ago. And I still love it now. It doesn't hurt that Christina's chopped her hair into a very chic bob. As I mentioned above, peach is a difficult color to work with and wear, but both Versace and Aguilera pull it off with aplomb.

Anna Kendrick in Marchesa: I like when Marchesa goes full-out grandmother and produce fussy gowns made of old drapes and wallpaper prints. And I'm not even being sarcastic.

Chloe Sevigny in Valentino: This gown is without flaw. I am so horribly embarrassed for the poor usher who stepped on the train when Sevigny went up to the stage to accept her award.

Zoe Saldana in Louis Vuitton: Seriously, where did Zoe Saldana come from? I love Center Stage as much the next person, but I certainly wasn't expecting little Eva Rodriguez to explode in 2009 with Star Trek and Avatar, and a killer wardrobe to boot. Honestly, I am always excited to see what she's wearing, and this dress is no exception.

Ginnifer Goodwin in Vionnet: I love the current Vionnet reboot, and I appreciate that Goodwin so often wears bright colors to red carpet events.

Rose Byrne in Lanvin: Mmmm, more Lanvin. And thank goodness for Rose Byrne. I need to catch up on Damages stat.

Cameron Diaz in Alexander McQueen: As is often the case with Ms. Diaz, I am completely unenthusiastic about the hair and makeup. But the dress, the glorious McQueen.

Sophia Loren: I'm not sure who designed this dress, but I know that I want it horribly.

No comments: