Sunday, October 19, 2008

the music man

Any die hard Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan knows that Anthony Stewart Head (Rupert Giles) has a fantastic voice. In the huge cult episode "Once More, With Feeling," the dapper Brit sings circles around his co-stars. And in the season four episode "Where the Wild Things Are," the Scoobies stumble upon Giles as he performs Pete Townshend's "Behind Blue Eyes" in the Sunnydale coffee shop. The stage-trained actor also tackled the role of Dr. Frank-n-Furter (made famous by Tim Curry) in the London revival of The Rocky Horror Show. Sadly, Head's featured role as a ballad soloist in Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd was significantly scaled back when filming was cut short do to the illness of Johnny Depp's daughter. However, I found cold comfort in his next project Repo! The Genetic Opera.

Unfortunately, I first heard of this indie musical because it features the vocal stylings of Paris Hilton in a supporting role. But when I found out that Head would be playing the role of the Repo Man, I was sold. This dystopic rock opera also features Sarah Brightman (she of crazy opera singing and ex of Andrew Lloyd Webber fame) and the Goodfella himself, Paul Sorvino. Oh, and the girl from Spy Kids (Alexa Vega). And as for Paris, her costumes and makeup render her virtually unrecognizable. And I must admit, her participation in this future cult classic makes me loathe her slightly less. Slightly.



And since I'm on a total rock opera kick, I have to share "Origin of Love," my favorite song from Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

No comments: