Monday, November 16, 2009

a lesson in contemporary fashion

The Museum of Contemporary Art's 30th Anniversary Gala had some great fashion this weekend. The cocktail dresses and gowns were a visual buffet for anyone who craves a little more risk on their red carpet.

Chloe Sevigny's Miu Miu party dress was my favorite look of the night. She's also rocking a pale milky pink lipstick that reminds me of Proenza Schouler's "Proenza Pink," a limited-edition shade from Lancôme's Pout-à-Porter series.

Eva Mendes strayed from her usual Calvin Klein uniform and delighted in Miu Miu. Even though Eva is gorgeous and has worn some beautiful gowns, I still find her kind of bland on the red carpet. This is the first time that I've found myself truly charmed by one of her looks.

Carey Mulligan continued the "I Heart Miuccia Prada" theme in more Prada. Though this is a fairly conservative dress, it's still a very alluring and slightly edgy look. I've kind of decided that Carey Mulligan is the opposite of Blake Lively on the red carpet.

Carine Roitfeld tends to be a bit of a slave to Balmain (as does her daughter), but in this case I can't fault the Vogue Paris Editor-in-Chief for her brand loyalty.

Zoe Saldana has become one of the most consistently well-dressed stars on the red carpet, and this Marchesa gown scores her another point in the win column. It might be a little over the top for this event, but who wouldn't want an excuse to break out such a striking gown.

Speaking of over the top, I was enamored with this Marchesa gown when I saw the preview photograph, but I was afraid no one would have the guts to wear it for an event. Thank God and the gays for Shirley Manson. I love her.

I certainly can understand why someone would hate this Sonia Rykiel jumpsuit, but I'm thrilled that Liz Goldwyn wore the piece to this event. The color, the cut, the interesting details, I'm infatuated with all of it. It's such a fun choice for a contemporary art event. My favorite looks are usually worn by those that understand that fashion should be fun, and that you're allowed to have a sense of humor. That's definitely the case for the looks worn by both Liz and Chloe.

No comments: