Friday, February 6, 2009

the girlcrush

I have a lot of crushes. Some make a lot of sense (James Franco, Nathan Fillion, Djimon Hounsou). Some don't make quite as much sense (Sam Elliot, Vincent D'Onofrio, Michael Chiklis). And though I fancy the gents, I have more than a couple over-the-top girlcrushes. Carine Roitfeld. Sofia Coppola. Kirstin Dunst.

But there is one girlcrush who puts all of my other girlcrushes to shame. She doesn't have the fiery hair of Christina Hendricks or the Parisian wardrobe of Clémence Poésy, but she is my everything. Jane Espenson.

This writer and producer has been involved with so many of my great loves that I can barely keep track. She wrote for Buffy the Vampire Slayer (both the television series--for which she won a Hugo Award--and the Season Eight comics), Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Firefly, and Battlestar Galactica. She's been helping Joss Whedon with his new sci-fi series Dollhouse, and will be tackling the showrunning duties of SciFi's upcoming BSG spinoff Caprica. She also wrote for Angel (which I still haven't gotten around to watching), Ellen (hilarious!) and the short-lived Eliza Dushku series Tru Calling (ill-advised!). The woman is so talented and so prolific that I can barely stand it. I just want her to go out with me for coffee, and tell me how to live, damn it!

No comments: