Saturday, February 28, 2009

fashion mixtape: volume 4

It's time for another edition of Fashion Mixtape, in which I take on the harrowing challenge of picking out an outfit and guest blogger Kate makes a playlist to go along with it. It's a very scientific process.

I love this photo of cute little Emma Watson at the Yves Saint Laurent show during Paris Fashion Week last fall. Mostly because I'm obsessed with the cut of her trousers. Over the past six months I've picked up two pair of baggy, tapered, cropped, tailored pants. And with my recent purchase of a pair of black harem pants, I'm close to owning more voluminous trousers than I do skinny jeans. (The harem pants are far more versatile than you'd think. I'll wear them out with heels and a tuxedo jacket, but often just wear them around my apartment with my Robert Plant tee, since they're probably the most comfortable pants I've ever owned).

I also enjoy how Miss Watson's been wearing her blush lately. She's been wearing a pale rose high on her cheekbones. It's a tricky look. If you overdo it, you're just going to look like your eyes are irritated. But with a light application and the right shade (I prefer Benefit Dandelion), it's an interesting alternative to only applying color to the apples of your cheeks. Anyway, back to the point. Here is Kate's slightly manic playlist to listen to next time you're lint rolling your tapered trousers and dusting pink powder under your eyes.

Roxy Music "Virginia Plain"
Brian Jonestown Massacre "It Girl"
PJ Harvey "Long Snake Moan"
The Fall "Victoria"
The Cranberries "Pretty"
Catherine Wheel "Show Me Mary"

No comments: