Tuesday, March 10, 2009

best robot tailor ever

I'm currently watching Forbidden Planet at Jagercon, the weekly event that my dear Kate Iverson and I host in Minneapolis at Clubhouse Jager. This is my first viewing of the movie (which hurts my nerd cred, I know) and I'm obsessing over Anne Francis' costumes. The film is a loose re-telling of Shakespeare's The Tempest set in a technologically advanced future. Though it was released in 1956, the special effects and electronic score are extremely advanced for that age of film making (plus, young Leslie Nielsen). The story follows a research team from Earth as they visit the planet Altair to discover the fate of a human colony established 20 years previously. Upon their arrival, they find that all of the colonists are dead, save one doctor and his teenage daughter Alta (who has had little interactions with humans other than her father). The doctor has built a robot assistant, Robby the Robot. Alta designs her clothing, and Robby sews it for her in remarkable time. The result is pretty sci-fantastic, and I had to share a few of the film's promotional images here.

Oh Robby, you made this for me? You're really too much!

Really! Aren't you just a dear!

What is up with all the Ancient Greek references in sci-fi movies from the 50s? I tell you, I just don't understand it.

Oscar de la Renta totally copied this creation a few seasons ago. I saw Amanda Peet wearing it!

I love a classic space-agey funnel neck!

1 comment:

brian said...

a world without instrumentalities? absurd!