Friday, March 27, 2009

next thing you know i'll be growing my own cat nip and knitting kitty sweaters

While in waiting room the other day, I was flipping through the April edition of Martha Stewart Living and was surprised by two things:

1) The fashion section, though small, was quite lovely (sorry for the crappy photo quality). There was an editorial featuring spring outerwear in which the coats and jackets were modeled by actual staff members. The real-life woman model thing has been done before, but I haven't seen it done this well. The coats were gorgeous, the women beautiful and accessible, and their names and positions in the Martha Stewart empire were listed as a reminder that they're working women just like you and me.

2) I love the Easter eggs featured on the cover and I know the style isn't anything new, but my first thought upon looking at the cover was, "Wow. Kara Walker has made some really wholesome Easter eggs.

I'm not saying I'm subscribing to Living anytime soon. I'm perfectly happy with drop-crotch trousers and Vogue Paris thankyouverymuch. I'm just saying that next time I'm waiting room, Martha Stewart Living may be the first magazine I reach for.

No comments: