Tuesday, January 27, 2009

it's the most wonderful time of the year

It's couture season! Recession de damned!

The underskirt of this Dior gown is a perfect match to an antique porcelain bleeding bowl that I almost bought two years ago. For those who haven't seen Sense and Sensibility, a bleeding bowl is a porcelain, brass, or pewter dish that was used in the highly scientific process of blood letting. You know, when you cut someone's arm open so that they can bleed out their pneumonia. Pretty high on drama. Questionable success rate.

a pretty example, courtesy of l'internet

The bleeding bowl is a round shallow dish with an indentation along one side for the patient's arm to rest. The blood would then collect in the bowl throughout the process, and I assume would be disposed of afterwards. Though those crazy Brits really love their blood pudding. I really wanted a bleeding bowl to hold jewelry or candy, so that whenever people asked me about the strange indentation on the side, I could let them know it was for bleeding out winter colds. I just thought there was something so wonderfully morbid and sick about that. I'm currently hunting for one, and this couture gown will always remind me of the perfect one that got away.

1 comment:

Chloe said...

Wow. That is stunning.

And I'm not sure if I'm talking about the dress or the blood pooling.

(Kidding! I'm talking about the DRESS!)