Saturday, June 21, 2008

summer lovin' part II: lips

You don't need to subsist on a diet of cherry and grape popsicles to achieve a fruity, summer pucker (although, I don't really see anything wrong with that strategy). My favorite summer lip products are sheer, hydrating and work on a wide variety of skin tones. Sun protection is an added bonus, but if it's not included, be sure to apply a coat of lip balm with at least SPF 15 (sunburned lips are the absolute worst).

Bonne Bell Dr. Pepper Lip Smacker: Everything I need to know about make-up, I learned in 7th grade. This cult drugstore product moisturizes, while giving your lips a natural rosy glow. Plus, it smells delicious. Fortunately, it only smells like Dr. Pepper, it doesn't taste like much of anything. This is good news for me, because when lip glosses are too delicious, I end up licking them off right away.

Tarte 24/7 Lip Sheer: This lip tint comes in nine work-for-everyone shades, is super-moisturizing AND has SPF 15. It reminds me of a fancier version of Blistex Lip Tone, which I always carried around with me in high school, but rarely see in drugstores these days. With mango and cocoa butters to hydrate and tons of vitamin E, this is the perfect lip product for when you're attending an all-day concert (I have Rock the Garden on the brain) and want to carry as little as possible.

Fresh Gloss Absolute in Rose Parfait : I love everything by Fresh. With their lovely scents, beautiful packaging and fun, wearable colors, their Sephora display always gives me a sugar high. Their Gloss Absolute is another do-it-all product, a gloss that hydrates, plumps and shines. The plumping and hydrating action help minimize lip lines, and an antioxidant-rich pomegranate extract helps speed up cell turnover. Rose Parfait is a sheer, pale pink with just the right amount of shimmer, and though it's sheer enough to work on most skin tones, it looks especially great against pale, cool-toned skin. Plus, it has a yummy citrus flavor.

Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey: This sheer lip color has achieved cult status for good reason. This gloss-lipstick hybrid works on almost every skin tone. I was first introduced to this product in high school, by my friend of mixed Asian and Hispanic descent. She insisted that I try it, but I was skeptical that a color that worked for her could ever flatter my fair, freckled skin tone. Wow, did she prove me wrong. What appeared to be a warm, deep plum on her became a sheer rose stain on me. And this isn't some cheap marketing mumbo jumbo (I'm looking at you Smashbox O-Glow), it's just a very wearable color with the perfect amount of sheerness to let your own lip color shine through, creating what appears to be a custom color. Plus, the hydrating formula allows you to cut lip balm out of your routine.

Lancome Pixel Pink Lipstick for Thakoon: I know it's cruel to include this, as it was a limited-edition item that flew off shelves (I was on the waiting list at Neiman Marcus three months in advance), but I couldn't get through this post without mentioning it. This sheer raspberry has cool undertones, but still works on my warm, freckly skin.

No comments: