Tuesday, May 27, 2008

all that glitters

Launched in conjunction with Neo Sci-Fi, MAC's new Solar Field collection introduces Solar Bits. These rich pigments have a more crumbly feel than MAC Pigments (they're described on the website as 'free-formed clusters') and they can make quite a mess. But in four gorgeous, versatile shades, these shadows are worth a mild dusting of glitter on your bathroom counter.

My stand-alone favorite is Black Ore, a sparkly black dust that reminds me of volcanic sand. My favorite shades of black eyeshadow incorporate traces of green, so I was delighted to find that in addition to a hint of gold pearl, the pigment also has a slight olive green undertone. I know it sounds intense, but Black Ore can be used to create both subtle and dramatic effects. Try crumbling some of the bits into a fine powder, then mix in a few drops of Paula Dorf Transformer. The result is a deliciously rich liquid liner, perfect for creating a futuristic cat eye.

I also adore MAC's promotional photo for Solar Field. The jeweled headpiece reminds me of those over-sized gemstone headbands from the Marc Jacobs Spring 2007 Ready-to-Wear Collection.

As for the Neo Sci-Fi Collection, I'd initially missed the return of Soft & Slow Tinted Lipglass. Released as a part of the Smoke Signals collection in August of 2007, this rosy mid-tone plum is worth picking up if you missed it the first time. With its creamy finish and gold undertones, it's a feminine neutral that works on a wide variety of skin tones.

images: mac, style.com

No comments: