Monday, September 7, 2009

ethan hawke is a vampire! finally!

Teenage angst and longing rule in Twilight, and sex and campiness are the driving forces behind True Blood, but my favorite vampire stories are always the dark, kick-ass action stories. Whether it's the grittiness of 30 Days of Night, the dark realism of Nightwatch, or the over-the-top action sequences from Blade, I love dark storylines and epic battles. So as much as I love watching the exploits of Sookie Stackhouse, I am psyched for this January's release of Daybreakers. The film is set in a future where vampirism has become the norm, and where the last remaining humans are hunted and farmed for blood. The cinematography and production design are gorgeous, and the cast leaves me wanting for nothing. Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe, Sam Neill, and Claudia Karvan (Farscape!) are the primary characters in the film, and all that talent could make even the cheesiest of vampire movies compelling.



I'm also appreciating the music choices for the trailer. "Running Up That Hill" is my favorite Kate Bush song, and Placebo's cover makes my love for the song even stronger. It always amazes me how the right song choice can completely transform a trailer and make you emotionally invested in characters and a story that you know so little about. I felt similarly about the trailer for Lying, starring Chloe Sevigny, Jena Malone and Leelee Sobieski. Though I have no idea what the movie's about (even after watching the preview several times), the gorgeous camerawork and the ethereal music (John Maus "Do Your Best") make me feel like I know the women in this story.

No comments: