Tuesday, September 15, 2009

omfg

Eep! has already posted a few of her thoughts on Target's Gossip Girl-inspired collaboration with Anna Sui. I read her post before heading to my local Target yesterday, and her critiques about the sizing are spot on. These clothes be tiny. In previous Go International and Designer Collaboration collections, I've consistently worn a size three. However, this collection has me firmly in the 5-7/M category, which, unfortunately, are the sizes that sell out the fastest. I tried on the navy houndstooth jacquard Blair-inspired dress in a three, which like Eep!, I couldn't completely zip closed. Too bad. It's an adorable dress. I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for the dress in a size up, but the collection's already selling like hot cakes.

I had better luck with the Blair Table Cloth dress, the piece that I'd been most excited about since the release of the promotional images. Although the style is loose, the cut of the shoulders is still quite narrow. The small felt a little too snug along the bust (a first for me!), but the medium was a perfect fit. The shade of the dress is quite a bit darker in person than in the photographs. I'd assumed the garment was a pale ivory, but it's actually more of a tea-stained antiquey cream. (On the website the color's actually called "Bread Dough," which sounds kind of gross.) Since I didn't already own anything with a light blue velvet bow at the collar, I decided that the dress was a necessary addition to my wardrobe and coughed up the cash for the $69.99 pricetag.

The only other item I took home with me was a pale grey tee with a black lace fringed bib. The fit was comfortable and loose, and though the fabric is semi-sheer, I didn't feel like all my goods were on display (this is mostly to the credit of my totally awesome beige grandma bra). The cap sleeves weren't quite as fluttery as they appeared in the photographs, which tempered the super-girlishness of a tee with freaking fringe on it.

Despite my two purchases, I left Target feeling quite disappointed. This is a very in-demand collection, but considering it was technically just released on Sunday, September 13 and I was in the store the next day, it was a serious bummer to not even have the opportunity to try on so many of the looks in a size that I could actually zip closed. Hopefully Rodarte for Target will be a bit more forgiving.

No comments: