Tuesday, July 15, 2008

la douleur exquise

I've already talked about my terrible habit of hording my favorite limited-edition make-up, but I didn't even touch on a large area of my obsession. Limited-edition shimmer powders. This stuff is my crack. Unlike the Destiny Cube, I actually allow myself to use these products on a regular basis. Thus, the inevitable freakout occurs as they begin to wear down and the silver glint of the pan starts to shine through the last layers of dusty shimmer. So in the interest of masochistically obsessing over products that I'll never be able to replace, here's a brief rundown of a few of my favorite limited-edition shimmer products of all time. Let the torture begin.

Estée Lauder Brilliant Shimmer All-Over Powder in Platinum/Gold (Holiday 2006): A golden block from the yellow brick road. Rumpelstiltskin's straw spun into gold. The goose's golden egg. When imagining the conception of this shimmer powder, I picture scientists in lab coats analyzing the color quality of these storybook items. Though it's wearable year-round, I always associate this powder with the holidays and try to restrain myself from breaking into it during the warmer months.

Clinique Pink Chocolate Shimmering Tones Powder (Holiday 2006): This product is a quadruple threat. It can be worn as an all-over shimmer or concentrated into a rosy blush. Additionally, the colors work as individual eyeshadows (I love the pale pink) and the Beauty Addict had great luck using the brown shade as a liner (I never tried using this as a liner though. I don't do brown eyeliner). Here's hoping Clinique brings this back for the holiday season.

Guerlain by Emilio Pucci Météorites (Spring 2007): The colors. The packaging. The Pucci. This was sold out when I went to purchase it at Nieman Marcus, but thank heavens I found it during a layover at Logan International. I'm a fan of Guerlain's Météorites in any shade, but these pastels take the proverbial cake. Plus, the packaging has pops of those signature Pucci brights. It looks adorable on my bathroom shelf and when I inevitably run out I doubt I'll have the heart to scrap the packaging.

No comments: